This bacon mac n cheese recipe is without a doubt one of the most popular recipes in our house!
It’s the ultimate comfort food with a creamy consistency and tangy taste that we just can’t get enough of!
You’ll love the salty bacon and sweet onions in this recipe… they’re a real compliment to the cheese!
- 2 What Is The Best Cheese To Use For Macaroni And Cheese?
- 3 What Can I Add To Macaroni And Cheese To Make It Better?
- 4 Tips For Bacon Mac And Cheese
- 5 Can You Freeze Bacon Mac and Cheese?
- 6 How To Reheat Mac And Cheese
- 7 What To Serve With Bacon Mac n Cheese
- 8 Bacon Mac n Cheese Recipe
What Is The Best Cheese To Use For Macaroni And Cheese?
The best cheese to use for bacon mac n cheese is mature cheddar… and you don’t need to be fussy about which cheddar you choose because as long as you use a mild or mature cheddar you will have a delicious macaroni cheese!
We recommend mature cheddars for the best results! Extra mature cheddar will produce a more oily result as it melts but will still be delicious!
Low fat or reduced-fat cheddar should not be used in this mac n cheese recipe because these types of cheese don’t contain enough fats to melt well at all!
We find the best thing about macaroni cheese is that you can really get away with using cheaper cheddars because once you combine all the ingredients, the result is delicious!
What Can I Add To Macaroni And Cheese To Make It Better?
This macaroni cheese recipe is already super delicious, however, there are always things you can add to suit your own taste and we’ve got some suggestions for you…
What To Add To Macaroni Cheese To Make It Better
- Fresh Cream – A dash of fresh cream will make for extra creamy cheese sauce
- Turmeric – A teaspoon of turmeric will enhance the color and flavor of mac n cheese.
- Green Onions – Sprinkled on top for extra pizazz
- Crispy Bacon – Sprinkled on top or added into the macaroni for texture and a welcome salty taste
- Sliced Tomatoes – Delicious laid on top of macaroni and grilled
- Mustard – Mustard is the key to tangy, irresistible mac n cheese! We love this one!
- Onions – Add gently fried onions for a sweet kick
- Parmesan – Sprinkle parmesan on top of macaroni before grilling for a crispy, tangy topping
Tips For Bacon Mac And Cheese
Making bacon mac and cheese from scratch is one of the easiest things in the world to do! But even so, here are some of our top tips for macaroni cheese success…
- Use whole milk for the creamiest cheese sauce. You can also add a dash of full fat cream for even more creaminess
- Cook the macaroni exactly as per the packet instructions… you want the macaroni to be just soft but not overcooked. If the packet recommends 11-13 minutes we always recommend going for 12 minutes.
- Stir the macaroni every couple of minutes while it’s cooking as the pasta tends to clump together if not stirred.
- Use freshly grated cheddar, however, on lazy days you can also chop that cheese into chunks and melt into the sauce… although this will take a little longer than grated cheddar.
- Bacon lardons are a great alternative to bacon rashers when you need to save time.
- Don’t hold back on the mustard… it’s the mustard that will take this macaroni cheese dish to the next level!
Can You Freeze Bacon Mac and Cheese?
You can freeze macaroni cheese in the freezer for up to three months in an air-tight container. You can also reserve the leftovers (if there are any) in the fridge for use within three days.
Remove the macaroni from the freezer the day before you intend to use it and defrost it thoroughly in the refrigerator.
How To Reheat Mac And Cheese
You can reheat macaroni cheese in the oven at 392 degrees (200C) for approximately 20 minutes or until bubbling.
Alternatively, you can place your desired portion on a plate and heat it in the microwave for approximately 3 minutes on high, stirring halfway through.
What To Serve With Bacon Mac n Cheese
Bacon mac n cheese is a complete meal all by itself but there are accompaniments that work well…
- Crusty bread & butter
- Steamed broccoli
- Steamed green beans
- Oven-roasted tomatoes
So are you ready to make the best macaroni cheese your whole family will love?
Let’s make it…
P.S. Don’t forget to quickly save this bacon mac n cheese recipe to Pinterest by clicking here!
- 600ml (2.5cups) Whole Milk
- 500g Mature Cheddar Grated
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Mustard (English or Dijon)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Large Onion Diced
- 500g Macaroni Pasta
- 400g Bacon Chopped
- Melt two tablespoons of butter into a skillet and fry bacon and chopped onion. Meanwhile, heat the water for the pasta in a saucepan. Once the bacon and onion are cooked, turn down the heat to very low or set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce start by melting 1 tbsp butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the flour, mustard, and turmeric to make a paste and cook on very low heat for two minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring between each addition. This will ensure there are no lumps! Once you've added all the milk, stir continuously over medium heat until almost boiling but do not allow to boil. This should take approximately 5-10 minutes and should still be a fairly runny consistency.
- Cook the macaroni pasta as per the packet instructions... usually 12 minutes is perfect, however, be sure to check whether your pasta is the 'quick cook' variety as you may need less time. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then combine the bacon and onion, cooked macaroni and cheese sauce together in a casserole dish
- Top with the remaining cheese and place below a grill until the cheese is brown and bubbling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1044Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 2581mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 58g